What Can Acupuncture Treat?
This is a very important question.
We've found that many people are aware that acupuncture excels in the treatment of Pain & Stress (and we've dedicated an entire page to that topic), and some are aware that a lot of professional athletes use acupuncture to improve performance, prevent and recover from injury, but not many are familiar with the various other conditions acupuncture can help them with.
At the bottom of this page you will find a listing of the various conditions treated with acupuncture. In addition to our Pain & Stress page, we will soon be adding a page dedicated to the use of acupuncture in the treatment of various Women's Health conditions. We will also be starting a blog focusing on a variety of topics related to acupuncture and herbal medicine including those conditions treated by acupuncture and herbal medicine.
For those who aren't big fans of lists, or want to get a glimpse into how acupuncture works and it's impact on the body, we've made a little video entitled What Can Acupuncture Treat?
Conditions Treated With Acupuncture
The World Health Organization, National Institute of Health and American Academy of Medical Acupuncture recognize that acupuncture can be a helpful part of a treatment plan for many illnesses. The following is just a partial list of those conditions.
Muscles, Joints, Bones & Nervous System
- Arthritis (Gouty, Osteo & Rheumatoid)
- Athletic Injuries
- Bell’s Palsy
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Chronic Pain Syndromes
- Golfer’s Elbow
- Headaches (including Migraines)
- Herpes Zoster (Shingles)
- Muscle Cramps & Strains
- Pain (Back, Knee, Neck & Shoulders etc.) * *
- Post-Herpatic Neuralgia
- Stroke Complications, including
- Tennis Elbow
- Temporomandibular Joint Pain (TMJ)
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
Respiratory, Eyes, Ears, Nose & Throat Disorders
- Common Cold
- Eye Pain
- Eye conditions (various)*
- Sore Throat
- Vision problems
- Kidney Disorders
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Other (including Immune System & Skin Disorders)
- Autoimmune Diseases, including
- Raynaud’s Syndrome
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Diabetes (Type II)
- Libido (reduced or excess)*
- Pharmaceutical Side Effects including
- Nausea & Vomiting etc.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder*
- Skin Conditions*
- Acne, boils, dryness, pimples, hives, rashes
- 75 to 90% of all doctor visits are related to stress
- Chronic stress suppresses the body’s immune system (ultimately manifesting as illness) and reduced ability to process & absorb nutrients from food or supplements
Addiction Recovery Support
- Nicotine and other drugs
- Side effects of radiation & chemotherapy such as
- Dry Mouth, Fatigue
- Hot Flashes
- Muscle Tension
- Shortness of Breath
- Sleep Disturbances
- Hypotension (Low BP)
- Hypertension (High BP)
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Other Heart conditions
Digestive System Disorders
- Acid Reflux
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Liver & Gallbladder disorders
- Morning Sickness
- Ulcerative Colitis
Emotional & Psychological Disorders
- Excessive Anger
- Headaches (including Tension and Migraine)
- Insomnia, Lack of Joy
- Fear or Timidity*
- Mental Focus (burnout)*
- Poor Memory
- Breached (Malpositioned) Fetus
- Labor Induction
- Lactation Disorders
- Menopausal Symptoms
- Menstrual Irregularities
- Heavy, Painful, Irregular
- Early, Late or Absent Menses
- Morning Sickness
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
* Conditions that weren’t specifically cited in the referenced reports, but have been successfully treated by acupuncture.
* * Studies have concluded that acupuncture’s effectiveness in the treating chronic pain & cancer pain are comparable with that of Morphine and Codeine & Demoral, respectively, without the side effects and risk of addiction (WHO).
* * * Acupuncture has been found to assist in reducing the intensity & frequency of many conditions not included in this list. We invite you to contact us to discuss the effectiveness of acupuncture in the treatment of any condition you may not see on this list.
And then there's the POWER NAP!
For those who just need a really good nap (you know who you are), we've been told by many patients, including pregnant women and parents of newborns & toddlers, that they come in for acupuncture simply because they need a really good nap! In fact, some refer to acupuncture in a community acupuncture clinic as Naptime for Grownups. Whether you need a power nap or need to recharge, reboot, or decompress, we'll be here with a good dose of acupuncture to make it happen.